Skip to main content

Coronavirus: Premier League shutdown extended till April 30


The shutdown of English football was extended until at least April 30 on Thursday after the Premier League and English Football League held crisis meetings.
“We’ve collectively agreed that the professional game in England will be further postponed until no earlier than Thursday 30 April,” said a joint statement by the English Football Association, Premier League, EFL, players and managers’ bodies.
UEFA’s decision to postpone Euro 2020 for 12 months earlier this week could allow games to be completed over the summer if strict restrictions on travelling and mass gatherings to halt the spread of COVID-19 are lifted in time.
The leagues still hope to finish the season once play can be restarted rather than accepting the current standings as final or declaring the campaign null and void.
“We’re united in our commitment to finding ways of resuming the 2019-20 football season and ensuring all domestic and European club league and cup matches are played as soon as it is safe and possible to do so,” added the statement.
Even if play can commence in early May, that could mean matches stretching beyond the June 30 goal UEFA agreed on for finishing the season on Tuesday.
The end of June is when many players’ contracts and loan deals expire.
However, the English authorities are putting no limit of when the 2019/20 season must be finished by.
“The FA’s Rules and Regulations state that ‘the season shall terminate not later than the 1 June’ and ‘each competition shall, within the limit laid down by The FA, determine the length of its own playing season’.
“However, The FA’s Board has agreed for this limit to be extended indefinitely for the 2019/20 season in relation to Professional Football.”
– Off-season break scrapped? -One option could see the end of the 2019/20 and beginning of the 2020/21 come together with no time for an off-season break.
“Players may need to get their summer break in now before we finish what was the 19/20 season and roll it right into the 20/21 season without a break,” Brighton striker Glenn Murray told AFP.
“Everyone loves sport, everyone loves watching football but I really think the right decision was made in bringing it to a halt.
“At this moment in time it’s pretty irrelevant, people’s health is first and foremost. Once we get over this crisis we can look at sport and getting the Premier League and Football Leagues back in action.”
The sudden shutdown, though, could have long-lasting consequences for many lower league clubs worrying if they will even be able to survive the next couple of months with no income from gate receipts.
A £50 million ($58 million) short-term relief package was announced by the EFL to help stricken clubs on Wednesday.
However, there has so far been no bailout from the Premier League to ensure those further down the pyramid survive.
{AFP} {Punch Mobile}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump leaves hospital for White House; removes mask immediately

President Donald Trump checked out of hospital Monday after four days of emergency treatment for Covid-19, pulling off his mask the moment he reached the White House and vowing to quickly get back on the campaign trail. Shortly beforehand, Trump had tweeted that Americans, who have lost nearly 210,000 people to the virus, have nothing to fear. A series of made-for-TV moments allowed Trump to squeeze the maximum from his medical discharge, starting by exiting alone from the large gold-colored front doors of the Walter Reed military hospital just outside Washington. Live on television, he then walked in a mask to a limousine, giving the thumbs up, before boarding Marine One helicopter for the quick flight to the White House — which he left on Friday after falling ill. After landing, he walked up the steps onto the South Portico’s stately balcony, demonstratively removed his mask and offered a 23-second salute to the departing Marine One. With less than a mont...

Edinson Cavani Joins Manchester United

File photo: Uruguay’s forward Edinson Cavani celebrates after scoring his team’s second goal during the Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 football match between Uruguay and Portugal at the Fisht Stadium in Sochi on June 30, 2018. PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU / AFP   Manchester United have signed Uruguayan striker, Edinson Cavani, the club confirmed on Monday evening.  🇺🇾🔴 𝗠𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗠𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿. Ladies and gentlemen: introducing  @ECavaniOfficial … #MUFC pic.twitter.com/2tBLCdtjdL — Manchester United (@ManUtd)  October 5, 2020 “Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of striker Edinson Cavani,” the club said in a statement on Monday. “The Uruguay international joins on a one-year contract with the option to extend for a further year.”   Cavani has been without a club since leaving Paris Saint-Germain at the end of June. The 33-year-old is PSG’s all-time top scorer, scoring 200 goals in seven seasons at the Parc des Princes. Cavani could...

Anambra lifts curfew, reopens schools

By Vincent Ujumadu Awka- ANAMBRA State government Tuesday announced the lifting of curfew imposed on the state by Governor Willie Obiano in the wake of #endSARS protests by youths across the state. Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Mr. C Don Adinuba said the lifting of the curfew followed a great improvement in the security situation in the state. Adinuba’s statement read: “Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano has decided to lift the curfew imposed in the state since last week. READ ALSO: I will sign executive order to recover looted property — Fintiri “Consequently, all educational institutions closed last week in the wake of the havoc visited on the state by gangs of arsonists and looters are hereby directed to resume normal activities. “In the same vein, all civil servants are directed to return to work immediately. “Governor Obiano thanks Anambra people for their great cooperation which enabled normalcy to return to our state within a short period. “The ...