Skip to main content

Abuja Lockdown: Why it’s difficult to divert our Palliatives – Minister


ABUJA —  Minister of State in the Federal Capital Territory FCT, Dr Ramatu Tijjani Aliyu, has assured residents particularly the target demography for its Palliatives, that the items would get to them as they cannot be diverted by anyone.
The minister who had last week placed a curse on anyone who made attempts to steal any of the items, said since the distribution began a week ago, there has been no diversion of any of the items in the Federal Capital Territory as alleged in some quarters.
Aliyu made the clarification yesterday during the inspection of 50, 000 bags of rice and other food items meant for distribution across the 10 Wards of Gwagwalada Area Council of the Territory.
According to her, with the composition and structure of the monitoring team, it would be impossible for any diversion to take place.
“I will be very clear with you, it is not possible with this team. I want to put it to you that the composition of this team is so strong across the 62 Wards of the six Area Councils of the territory. It is not possible for all of them to unite with 10 representatives each from all security agencies, civil society, Christian Association of Nigeria, League of Imams, Students, Youths, Political Parties and Women to team up together to divert palliative items.
“I had to trace issues of diversion I heard only to discover that it is private organisations that just came to carry out their own civic responsibility and not our own team.
“For a diversion to succeed with the entire structure put in place, that means the police might have compromised, the DSS might have compromised and all other critical stakeholders might have compromised because in each ward you have representatives of these groups. I want to put it to Nigerians that this exercise is as transparent as possible and there is also the Call Centre toll-free lines for complaints,” Aliyu affirmed.
She, however, vowed to hold representatives of the stakeholders accountable for any lapses during the exercise, just as she apologized for the delay in the distribution of the palliatives to underserved communities in Gwagwalada area council.
According to her, “I most sincerely apologize to the entire members of Gwagwalada area council and on behalf of my team to take responsibility for the delay. We were ready yesterday but we had to come to a halt because the transport organizations almost held us to a ransom. I will tell you again that on behalf of the FCT Administration, we will take responsibility”.
Meanwhile, the Federal Capital Territory Administration FCTA has provided foodstuff and other items to 287 widows in various military barracks in the territory as part of measures to cushion the effect of the sit-at-home order.
Dr Aliyu, who made the symbolic presentation at the Mambilla Barracks Asokoro on behalf of the FCT Administration said the items would be distributed to 287 needy widows of the rank and file soldiers.
Aliyu said the beneficiaries were drawn from 7 Guards Battalion, Lungi Barracks, 102 Guards Battalion, Zuma Barracks, 176 Guards barracks, Gen. A.O Azazi Barracks Gwagwalada, 177 Guards Battalion, Shittu Alao Barracks Keffi, and Guards Brigade Garrison, Mambilla Barracks, Asokoro, Abuja.
According to the minister, 70 widows were drawn from 7 Guards Battalion, Lungi barracks, while 36 widows drawn from 102 Guards Battalion, Zuma barracks, and 56 widows drawn from, 176 Guards Barracks, Gen. A.O Azazi Barracks Gwagwalada.
Others are 60 widows drawn from 177 Guards Battalion, Shiytu Alao Barracks Keffi, and 65 widows drawn from Guards Brigade Garrison, Mambilla Barracks, Asokoro, bringing the total to 287 widows.
{Vanguard Nig}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump leaves hospital for White House; removes mask immediately

President Donald Trump checked out of hospital Monday after four days of emergency treatment for Covid-19, pulling off his mask the moment he reached the White House and vowing to quickly get back on the campaign trail. Shortly beforehand, Trump had tweeted that Americans, who have lost nearly 210,000 people to the virus, have nothing to fear. A series of made-for-TV moments allowed Trump to squeeze the maximum from his medical discharge, starting by exiting alone from the large gold-colored front doors of the Walter Reed military hospital just outside Washington. Live on television, he then walked in a mask to a limousine, giving the thumbs up, before boarding Marine One helicopter for the quick flight to the White House — which he left on Friday after falling ill. After landing, he walked up the steps onto the South Portico’s stately balcony, demonstratively removed his mask and offered a 23-second salute to the departing Marine One. With less than a mont...

Edinson Cavani Joins Manchester United

File photo: Uruguay’s forward Edinson Cavani celebrates after scoring his team’s second goal during the Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 football match between Uruguay and Portugal at the Fisht Stadium in Sochi on June 30, 2018. PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU / AFP   Manchester United have signed Uruguayan striker, Edinson Cavani, the club confirmed on Monday evening.  🇺🇾🔴 𝗠𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗠𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿. Ladies and gentlemen: introducing  @ECavaniOfficial … #MUFC pic.twitter.com/2tBLCdtjdL — Manchester United (@ManUtd)  October 5, 2020 “Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of striker Edinson Cavani,” the club said in a statement on Monday. “The Uruguay international joins on a one-year contract with the option to extend for a further year.”   Cavani has been without a club since leaving Paris Saint-Germain at the end of June. The 33-year-old is PSG’s all-time top scorer, scoring 200 goals in seven seasons at the Parc des Princes. Cavani could...

This is time to act, Charly Boy writes Nigerian youths

Charly Boy By Benjamin Njoku Following the incessant killings of innocent Nigerians by the men of the now curtailed Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Nigeria Police Force, SARS, maverick musician, Charly Boy, has urged the Nigerian youths to rise and fight against repressive administration. Charly Boy made the call on Monday via his Instagram page. The maverick musician wrote: “My Beloved Nigerian Youths, “Our elders say, when ant bite you for nyash, you go adjust your self. The truth be say, we have been silent through fear for far to long.” ALSO READ:  Wizkid blast Buhari, asks him to face his country and leave Trump alone “When will Enough be Enough? This is not the life any of you envisaged. You cannot continue in an environment that robs you of your destiny and kills your dream. Know your enemies, because it’s time to face them. “The time to start organising is now, the time to stop agonising now. The time to act is now. No one is too small to make a difference.” Charly Boy’s ...