Skip to main content

Coronavirus: Nine latest global developments

Emergency medical personnel carries a patient affected with coronavirus (Covid-19) from a military hospital to an ambulance before being transported aboard a medicalised TGV (high-speed train) to be evacuated towards hospitals of other French regions on March 29, 2020 in Mulhouse, eastern France, amid the spread of the COVID-19 (new coronavirus) pandemic. (Photo by SEBASTIEN BOZON / AFP)

Here are the latest developments in the coronavirus crisis:
– More than one million cases –
At least 1,000,036 cases of infection, including 51,718 deaths have been reported in 188 countries and territories around the world since the epidemic started in December, according to an AFP tally compiled around 1900 GMT Thursday based on official sources.
With 234,462 cases, the pandemic is rampaging most quickly in the United States while Italy has the highest official death toll with 13,915 fatalities. Spain follows with 10,003, the US with 5,607 and France 5,387.
– Confinement for half of humanity -
More than 3.9 billion people, or half of the world’s population, has been called on or obliged by their authorities to stay at home, according to an AFP database count Thursday.
Thailand has introduced a six-hour night curfew beginning Friday.
Eritrea declares a 21-day confinement. Togo decares a three-month “state of emergency” and curfew.
President Vladimir Putin says Russians will continue not going to work while receiving pay until the end of the month. Moscow extends its confinement to May 1.
– Milan crematorium closed –
The city of Milan shuts its main crematorium for the rest of the month to deal with a surge of bodies that have accumulated in the course of the coronavirus pandemic.
– Soaring unemployment –
Another 6.65 million US workers filed for unemployment benefits in the United States last week, the most ever recorded.
Spain registers a leap of 302,265 jobless claims in March, the biggest on record.
Lufthansa says it has placed more than 60 percent of its workforce on government-backed shorter hours schemes.
Boeing unveils a voluntary worker layoff programme.
Global air passenger demand plunged 14 percent in February, the steepest decline in traffic since the September 11, 2001 attacks, the International Air Transport Association says.
– Aid –
The World Bank approves $160 billion in emergency aid over 15 months to help countries deal with the impact of the pandemic.
The European Commission proposes a bloc-wide guarantee that could raise 100 billion euros ($109 billion) to aid strained national unemployment schemes.
– Fresh lockdown in China –
The Chinese county of Jia in central Henan province, with around 600,000 residents, goes into lockdown after a woman who visited the area tests positive, underscoring concerns over a second wave of domestic infections.
– Telling lies? –
US lawmakers, pointing to a report by Bloomberg citing US intelligence, accuse China of lying about the extent of its deadly coronavirus outbreak.
Mainland China, where the epidemic started, has officially reported to date 81,589 cases and 3,318 deaths.
– Democratic convention postponed –
US Democrats postpone their national convention until August 17, pushing back by five weeks the gathering that nominates the party’s candidate to challenge Donald Trump in November.
– Zaandam cleared to dock –
The cruise ship Zaandam, which has dozens of ill passengers and crew on board, is cleared to dock in Florida after days stranded at sea.
{AFP} {Punch Mobile}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump leaves hospital for White House; removes mask immediately

President Donald Trump checked out of hospital Monday after four days of emergency treatment for Covid-19, pulling off his mask the moment he reached the White House and vowing to quickly get back on the campaign trail. Shortly beforehand, Trump had tweeted that Americans, who have lost nearly 210,000 people to the virus, have nothing to fear. A series of made-for-TV moments allowed Trump to squeeze the maximum from his medical discharge, starting by exiting alone from the large gold-colored front doors of the Walter Reed military hospital just outside Washington. Live on television, he then walked in a mask to a limousine, giving the thumbs up, before boarding Marine One helicopter for the quick flight to the White House — which he left on Friday after falling ill. After landing, he walked up the steps onto the South Portico’s stately balcony, demonstratively removed his mask and offered a 23-second salute to the departing Marine One. With less than a mont...

Edinson Cavani Joins Manchester United

File photo: Uruguay’s forward Edinson Cavani celebrates after scoring his team’s second goal during the Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 football match between Uruguay and Portugal at the Fisht Stadium in Sochi on June 30, 2018. PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU / AFP   Manchester United have signed Uruguayan striker, Edinson Cavani, the club confirmed on Monday evening.  🇺🇾🔴 𝗠𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗠𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿. Ladies and gentlemen: introducing  @ECavaniOfficial … #MUFC pic.twitter.com/2tBLCdtjdL — Manchester United (@ManUtd)  October 5, 2020 “Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of striker Edinson Cavani,” the club said in a statement on Monday. “The Uruguay international joins on a one-year contract with the option to extend for a further year.”   Cavani has been without a club since leaving Paris Saint-Germain at the end of June. The 33-year-old is PSG’s all-time top scorer, scoring 200 goals in seven seasons at the Parc des Princes. Cavani could...

This is time to act, Charly Boy writes Nigerian youths

Charly Boy By Benjamin Njoku Following the incessant killings of innocent Nigerians by the men of the now curtailed Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Nigeria Police Force, SARS, maverick musician, Charly Boy, has urged the Nigerian youths to rise and fight against repressive administration. Charly Boy made the call on Monday via his Instagram page. The maverick musician wrote: “My Beloved Nigerian Youths, “Our elders say, when ant bite you for nyash, you go adjust your self. The truth be say, we have been silent through fear for far to long.” ALSO READ:  Wizkid blast Buhari, asks him to face his country and leave Trump alone “When will Enough be Enough? This is not the life any of you envisaged. You cannot continue in an environment that robs you of your destiny and kills your dream. Know your enemies, because it’s time to face them. “The time to start organising is now, the time to stop agonising now. The time to act is now. No one is too small to make a difference.” Charly Boy’s ...