Skip to main content

COVID-19: Buhari approves employment of 774, 000 Nigerians

The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.)

Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs Zainab Ahmed, says the President, Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), has approved the engagement of 774, 000 Nigerians on Special Public Works programme in the country to cushion the effect of COVID-19 pandemic.
Ahmed disclosed this at a press conference on fiscal stimulus measures in response to COVID-19 pandemic and oil prices fiscal shock, on Monday in Abuja.
She explained that 1, 000 people were expected to be recruited from each of the 774 local government areas in the country.
According to her, N60 billion for allowances and operational cost has been earmarked from the COVID-19 crisis intervention fund for the initiative.
She disclosed that President Buhari had previously approved a pilot special public works programme in eight states to be implemented by the National Directorate of Employment.
She added that Buhari had now approved that this programme be extended to all 36 States and the FCT from October to December 2020 and the selected timeframe was to ensure that it was implemented after the planting season.
Ahmed said, “With regards to the Special Public Works Program, Mr. President had previously approved a Pilot Special Public Works Programme in eight States to be implemented by the National Directorate of Employment from February 2020 to April 2020.
“Mr. President has now approved that this Programme be extended to all 36 States and the FCT from October 2020 to December 2020. The selected timeframe is to ensure that the Programme is implemented after the planting season is over, and it will result in the employment of about 774,000 Nigerians (that is, 1,000 people per Local Government).
“The Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning is also evaluating how best to extend the Special Public Works Programme, to provide modest stipends for itinerant workers to undertake Roads Rehabilitation and Social Housing Construction.
“And also Urban and Rural Sanitation, Health Extension and other critical services. This intervention will be undertaken in conjunction with the key federal ministries responsible for Agriculture, Environment, Health and Infrastructure, as well as the states, to financially empower individuals who lose their jobs due to the economic crisis.
“Mr. President has approved the establishment of N500 billion COVID-19 Crisis Intervention Fund. The establishment of the Fund will involve drawing much-needed cash resources from various Special Funds and Accounts, in consultation with and with the approval of the National Assembly.
“The N500 billion is proposed to be utilised to upgrade healthcare facilities as earlier identified by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 and approved by Mr. President.
“This will help to finance the Federal Government’s Interventions to support states in improving healthcare facilities, finance the creation of a Special Public Works programme and Fund any additional interventions that may be approved by Mr. President.”
The minister noted that although similar challenges were experienced in 2008/2009 as well as in 2015/2016, Nigeria had considerably lower fiscal buffers now than in previous economic downturns.
According to her, the decline in international oil prices and domestic production may be magnified if a severe outbreak of COVID-19 occurs, despite ongoing efforts to curtail the spread of the pandemic through compulsory lockdown of Lagos and Ogun States, as well as the FCT.
The minister said to directly address these health and economic challenges, the president approved the Fiscal Stimulus Package among others as part of an Integrated Policy Framework to ensure that Nigeria’s healthcare system, fiscal position and economy were sufficiently supported to weather these shocks.
{NAN} {Punch Mobile}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump leaves hospital for White House; removes mask immediately

President Donald Trump checked out of hospital Monday after four days of emergency treatment for Covid-19, pulling off his mask the moment he reached the White House and vowing to quickly get back on the campaign trail. Shortly beforehand, Trump had tweeted that Americans, who have lost nearly 210,000 people to the virus, have nothing to fear. A series of made-for-TV moments allowed Trump to squeeze the maximum from his medical discharge, starting by exiting alone from the large gold-colored front doors of the Walter Reed military hospital just outside Washington. Live on television, he then walked in a mask to a limousine, giving the thumbs up, before boarding Marine One helicopter for the quick flight to the White House — which he left on Friday after falling ill. After landing, he walked up the steps onto the South Portico’s stately balcony, demonstratively removed his mask and offered a 23-second salute to the departing Marine One. With less than a mont...

Edinson Cavani Joins Manchester United

File photo: Uruguay’s forward Edinson Cavani celebrates after scoring his team’s second goal during the Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 football match between Uruguay and Portugal at the Fisht Stadium in Sochi on June 30, 2018. PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU / AFP   Manchester United have signed Uruguayan striker, Edinson Cavani, the club confirmed on Monday evening.  🇺🇾🔴 𝗠𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗠𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿. Ladies and gentlemen: introducing  @ECavaniOfficial … #MUFC pic.twitter.com/2tBLCdtjdL — Manchester United (@ManUtd)  October 5, 2020 “Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of striker Edinson Cavani,” the club said in a statement on Monday. “The Uruguay international joins on a one-year contract with the option to extend for a further year.”   Cavani has been without a club since leaving Paris Saint-Germain at the end of June. The 33-year-old is PSG’s all-time top scorer, scoring 200 goals in seven seasons at the Parc des Princes. Cavani could...

Anambra lifts curfew, reopens schools

By Vincent Ujumadu Awka- ANAMBRA State government Tuesday announced the lifting of curfew imposed on the state by Governor Willie Obiano in the wake of #endSARS protests by youths across the state. Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Mr. C Don Adinuba said the lifting of the curfew followed a great improvement in the security situation in the state. Adinuba’s statement read: “Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano has decided to lift the curfew imposed in the state since last week. READ ALSO: I will sign executive order to recover looted property — Fintiri “Consequently, all educational institutions closed last week in the wake of the havoc visited on the state by gangs of arsonists and looters are hereby directed to resume normal activities. “In the same vein, all civil servants are directed to return to work immediately. “Governor Obiano thanks Anambra people for their great cooperation which enabled normalcy to return to our state within a short period. “The ...