Skip to main content

Lockdown: Fleeing driver knocks down civil defence officer to evade arrest


A commercial driver on Friday knocked down an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Victor Fayemi, while trying to escape arrest after defying the lockdown order in Abuja.
The PUNCH reports that the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), had imposed a lockdown order in Abuja, Lagos and Ogun states for another two weeks.
Media Assistant to the NSCDC Commandant General, Ekunola Gbenga, confirmed this to our correspondent.
He said the officer was hit while verifying if the Taxi driver had an exemption tag at a roadblock mounted along Gwarinpa/Kado road area of Abuja.
Gbenga said the NSCDC official, an Assistant Superintendent of Corps, secured varying degrees of injury.
In a statement on Friday, Gbenga said, “ASC Fayemi attached to Federal Capital Territory escaped death when a Volkswagen Golf Commercial driver escaping arrest ran over him along Gwarinpa/Kado road area of Abuja.“He was hit by the commercial driver who was trying to evade arrest by the security officers on duty as he defied COVID-19 lockdown measures put in place by the federal government.
“Security agencies which comprise Civil Defence Officers mounted roadblocks in Gwarinpa/Kado road in an attempt to prevent the taxi’s from operating.
“While the officer tried to stop the driver for questioning, he ran over the Civil Defence Officer and knocked him down.”
Gbenga noted that the officer had been hospitalised, adding that the driver was arrested and detained at a police station in Abuja.
He said, “After being knocked, he (Fayemi) became unconscious and was rushed to Maitama District Hospital where he was promptly attended to.
“After specialised medical treatment at Maitama District Hospital, he was moved into a private hospital where he is currently receiving further treatment.
The Commandant General, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps Abdullahi Gana Muhammadu, was quoted as condemning the action of the driver.
“The behaviour of the driver was unacceptable in the eyes of law enforcement,” Muhammadu said.
He advised people “not to attempt to evade arrest under any circumstances, especially at this critical period when the world is faced with the challenge of COVID-19.
“Government needs the support and cooperation of all stakeholders in order to win the war of coronavirus.”
{Punch Mobile}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump leaves hospital for White House; removes mask immediately

President Donald Trump checked out of hospital Monday after four days of emergency treatment for Covid-19, pulling off his mask the moment he reached the White House and vowing to quickly get back on the campaign trail. Shortly beforehand, Trump had tweeted that Americans, who have lost nearly 210,000 people to the virus, have nothing to fear. A series of made-for-TV moments allowed Trump to squeeze the maximum from his medical discharge, starting by exiting alone from the large gold-colored front doors of the Walter Reed military hospital just outside Washington. Live on television, he then walked in a mask to a limousine, giving the thumbs up, before boarding Marine One helicopter for the quick flight to the White House — which he left on Friday after falling ill. After landing, he walked up the steps onto the South Portico’s stately balcony, demonstratively removed his mask and offered a 23-second salute to the departing Marine One. With less than a mont...

Edinson Cavani Joins Manchester United

File photo: Uruguay’s forward Edinson Cavani celebrates after scoring his team’s second goal during the Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 football match between Uruguay and Portugal at the Fisht Stadium in Sochi on June 30, 2018. PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU / AFP   Manchester United have signed Uruguayan striker, Edinson Cavani, the club confirmed on Monday evening.  🇺🇾🔴 𝗠𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗠𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿. Ladies and gentlemen: introducing  @ECavaniOfficial … #MUFC pic.twitter.com/2tBLCdtjdL — Manchester United (@ManUtd)  October 5, 2020 “Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of striker Edinson Cavani,” the club said in a statement on Monday. “The Uruguay international joins on a one-year contract with the option to extend for a further year.”   Cavani has been without a club since leaving Paris Saint-Germain at the end of June. The 33-year-old is PSG’s all-time top scorer, scoring 200 goals in seven seasons at the Parc des Princes. Cavani could...

Anambra lifts curfew, reopens schools

By Vincent Ujumadu Awka- ANAMBRA State government Tuesday announced the lifting of curfew imposed on the state by Governor Willie Obiano in the wake of #endSARS protests by youths across the state. Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Mr. C Don Adinuba said the lifting of the curfew followed a great improvement in the security situation in the state. Adinuba’s statement read: “Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano has decided to lift the curfew imposed in the state since last week. READ ALSO: I will sign executive order to recover looted property — Fintiri “Consequently, all educational institutions closed last week in the wake of the havoc visited on the state by gangs of arsonists and looters are hereby directed to resume normal activities. “In the same vein, all civil servants are directed to return to work immediately. “Governor Obiano thanks Anambra people for their great cooperation which enabled normalcy to return to our state within a short period. “The ...