Skip to main content

Why I sacked health minister amid COVID-19 crisis – Brazilian President

             Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro

NEWS

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro on Friday defended his decision to restart economic activity in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic, after sacking his health minister over differences in how to tackle the disease.
Luiz Henrique Mandetta, the dismissed health minister, had been advocating social distancing in line with World Health Organization recommendations, with the virus outbreak claiming more than 1,900 lives so far in Brazil.
But the far-right Bolsonaro has argued that the measures would wreck the economy and create greater long-term risks to public health.
“This struggle to start opening up for business is a risk that I will take,” Bolsonaro said Friday as he installed his new health minister, Nelson Teich.
If the epidemic “gets worse, that will be on me. But I think — and lots of people are coming to realize this — that we have to open up.”
The governors of Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro were moving in the opposite direction on Friday, however, extending partial quarantines in their states which only allow key economic activities to go on.
Bolsonaro sacked Mandetta after weeks of public clashes over how to contain the deadly outbreak.
“Mandetta’s vision was that of health, of life. Mine is more than life, it includes the economy and jobs,” Bolsonaro said.
Teich, a renowned 62-year-old oncologist, did not propose any concrete measures in his brief inaugural speech, but insisted he would strive to balance both outlooks.
“We can talk about health, the economy, it doesn’t matter: at the end of the day we are talking about people. That is what we are here to do, to bring a better life to Brazilian society and people,” the new minister said.
Nevertheless, Bolsonaro himself admitted he lacks the power to force his vision on states’ governors, who have the authority to impose their own measures against the virus.
As of Thursday, 1924 people had died of coronavirus in Brazil, a country of more than 210 million. 
Health officials have confirmed 30,342 cases, although experts say the real number could be five times that, owing to a lack of testing and the frequency of infected people not showing symptoms
Authorities there announced they would extend until May 10 restrictions on all but essential services, a measure first introduced in late March.
Rio de Janeiro said it will prolong its own similar measures until the end of April.
Many Brazilians were disturbed by Mandetta’s dismissal, fearing a renewed outbreak of the coronavirus if social distancing measures are relaxed too soon.
“It was a bad idea” to sack Mandetta, said Rio police officer Marcelo Ferreira. “He was doing a good job, helping keep people safe, asking them to stay home.”
{AFP} {Punch Mobile}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump leaves hospital for White House; removes mask immediately

President Donald Trump checked out of hospital Monday after four days of emergency treatment for Covid-19, pulling off his mask the moment he reached the White House and vowing to quickly get back on the campaign trail. Shortly beforehand, Trump had tweeted that Americans, who have lost nearly 210,000 people to the virus, have nothing to fear. A series of made-for-TV moments allowed Trump to squeeze the maximum from his medical discharge, starting by exiting alone from the large gold-colored front doors of the Walter Reed military hospital just outside Washington. Live on television, he then walked in a mask to a limousine, giving the thumbs up, before boarding Marine One helicopter for the quick flight to the White House — which he left on Friday after falling ill. After landing, he walked up the steps onto the South Portico’s stately balcony, demonstratively removed his mask and offered a 23-second salute to the departing Marine One. With less than a mont...

Edinson Cavani Joins Manchester United

File photo: Uruguay’s forward Edinson Cavani celebrates after scoring his team’s second goal during the Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 football match between Uruguay and Portugal at the Fisht Stadium in Sochi on June 30, 2018. PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU / AFP   Manchester United have signed Uruguayan striker, Edinson Cavani, the club confirmed on Monday evening.  🇺🇾🔴 𝗠𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗠𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿. Ladies and gentlemen: introducing  @ECavaniOfficial … #MUFC pic.twitter.com/2tBLCdtjdL — Manchester United (@ManUtd)  October 5, 2020 “Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of striker Edinson Cavani,” the club said in a statement on Monday. “The Uruguay international joins on a one-year contract with the option to extend for a further year.”   Cavani has been without a club since leaving Paris Saint-Germain at the end of June. The 33-year-old is PSG’s all-time top scorer, scoring 200 goals in seven seasons at the Parc des Princes. Cavani could...

This is time to act, Charly Boy writes Nigerian youths

Charly Boy By Benjamin Njoku Following the incessant killings of innocent Nigerians by the men of the now curtailed Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Nigeria Police Force, SARS, maverick musician, Charly Boy, has urged the Nigerian youths to rise and fight against repressive administration. Charly Boy made the call on Monday via his Instagram page. The maverick musician wrote: “My Beloved Nigerian Youths, “Our elders say, when ant bite you for nyash, you go adjust your self. The truth be say, we have been silent through fear for far to long.” ALSO READ:  Wizkid blast Buhari, asks him to face his country and leave Trump alone “When will Enough be Enough? This is not the life any of you envisaged. You cannot continue in an environment that robs you of your destiny and kills your dream. Know your enemies, because it’s time to face them. “The time to start organising is now, the time to stop agonising now. The time to act is now. No one is too small to make a difference.” Charly Boy’s ...