Skip to main content

British woman jailed for stabbing husband to death in Malaysia



A British woman was jailed for three and a half years Monday after tearfully admitting she stabbed her husband to death during a fight on the Malaysian holiday island of Langkawi.

Samantha Jones killed John William Jones in 2018 in their house during a row in the early hours of the morning, which her lawyer said came after years of domestic abuse.

The 52-year-old admitted “culpable homicide”, which is roughly equivalent to manslaughter, and was handed the jail term and ordered to pay a fine of 10,000 ringgit ($2,300).

The British woman had initially been charged with murder, which carries a mandatory death sentence in Malaysia, but prosecutors agreed to the lesser charge.

During a hearing in the northern city of Alor Setar, Jones pleaded guilty and then wept as a prosecutor showed the High Court the murder weapon and photos of the crime scene.

In mitigation, her lawyer Sangeet Kaur Deo said Jones had long suffered from physical and emotional abuse meted out by her husband, who was an alcoholic and had a fierce temper.

The fight began on October 18, 2018, after Jones’s husband kicked her when she was lying in bed in the early hours of the morning, the lawyer said.

ALSO READ: Russia aims to produce ‘millions’ of coronavirus doses by 2021

Jones fled to the kitchen but he followed and a fight began, during which she stabbed him with a knife.

She inflicted a 15-centimetre (six-inch) wound in the liver of the 63-year-old victim, who was under the influence of alcohol at the time, according to prosecutors.

An ambulance arrived after 45 minutes but it was too late.

“I was scared and he was so angry,” Jones, who was wearing a mask, tearfully told the court.

“I miss him terribly. What I did that night was unintended.

“I tried to stop him, I did not know it would happen like this.”

Jones, who could have faced a maximum jail term of 10 years, looked calm as the sentence was handed down.

Her sentence will run from when she was arrested in 2018.

The British couple had been married since 2001, and did not have children.

They had lived since 2005 on the resort island in northwest Malaysia, which attracts millions of tourists to its beaches every year.

[AFP]

Vanguard News Nigeria.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump leaves hospital for White House; removes mask immediately

President Donald Trump checked out of hospital Monday after four days of emergency treatment for Covid-19, pulling off his mask the moment he reached the White House and vowing to quickly get back on the campaign trail. Shortly beforehand, Trump had tweeted that Americans, who have lost nearly 210,000 people to the virus, have nothing to fear. A series of made-for-TV moments allowed Trump to squeeze the maximum from his medical discharge, starting by exiting alone from the large gold-colored front doors of the Walter Reed military hospital just outside Washington. Live on television, he then walked in a mask to a limousine, giving the thumbs up, before boarding Marine One helicopter for the quick flight to the White House — which he left on Friday after falling ill. After landing, he walked up the steps onto the South Portico’s stately balcony, demonstratively removed his mask and offered a 23-second salute to the departing Marine One. With less than a mont...

Edinson Cavani Joins Manchester United

File photo: Uruguay’s forward Edinson Cavani celebrates after scoring his team’s second goal during the Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 football match between Uruguay and Portugal at the Fisht Stadium in Sochi on June 30, 2018. PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU / AFP   Manchester United have signed Uruguayan striker, Edinson Cavani, the club confirmed on Monday evening.  🇺🇾🔴 𝗠𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗠𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿. Ladies and gentlemen: introducing  @ECavaniOfficial … #MUFC pic.twitter.com/2tBLCdtjdL — Manchester United (@ManUtd)  October 5, 2020 “Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of striker Edinson Cavani,” the club said in a statement on Monday. “The Uruguay international joins on a one-year contract with the option to extend for a further year.”   Cavani has been without a club since leaving Paris Saint-Germain at the end of June. The 33-year-old is PSG’s all-time top scorer, scoring 200 goals in seven seasons at the Parc des Princes. Cavani could...

Anambra lifts curfew, reopens schools

By Vincent Ujumadu Awka- ANAMBRA State government Tuesday announced the lifting of curfew imposed on the state by Governor Willie Obiano in the wake of #endSARS protests by youths across the state. Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Mr. C Don Adinuba said the lifting of the curfew followed a great improvement in the security situation in the state. Adinuba’s statement read: “Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano has decided to lift the curfew imposed in the state since last week. READ ALSO: I will sign executive order to recover looted property — Fintiri “Consequently, all educational institutions closed last week in the wake of the havoc visited on the state by gangs of arsonists and looters are hereby directed to resume normal activities. “In the same vein, all civil servants are directed to return to work immediately. “Governor Obiano thanks Anambra people for their great cooperation which enabled normalcy to return to our state within a short period. “The ...