Skip to main content

Buhari approves N10bn for census

President Muhammadu Buhari

By Chris Ochayi

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the sum of N10 billion towards smoothing the processes leading to the conduct of a successful population census in the country.

The Acting Chairman, National Population Commission, NPC, Dr Eyitayo Oyetunji, who disclosed this in Abuja at a press briefing on the commencement of the 10th phase of the Enumeration Area Demarcation, EAD, exercise, recalled the commission has been implementing the exercise in phases due to paucity of funds.

Dr Oyetunji said the 10th Phase of the exercise which will commence on October 5th and end on October 29th, 2020, inclusive of training and fieldwork will be conducted in 33 LGAs spread across 25 States and the FCT.

ALSO READ: Protect national assets in Niger Delta ― IPMAN President advises youths

According to him, “As you may be aware a total of 228 LGAs were successfully demarcated across the 36 States and FCT in the previous 9 phases.”

He said, “Hitherto, the Commission had been implementing the EAD in phases due to limitations in the availability and allocation of funds.

“I am however pleased to announce, that His Excellency, Mr President has reaffirmed his commitment towards the successful completion of the EAD and indeed towards the conduct of the next census by approving the release of the total sum of ten billion naira for the continuation of the EAD in the remaining 546 LGA of the country.

“The President has graciously followed this up by a further approval of an additional N45 billion to be included in the 2021 Budget for the completion of the exercise as part of preparations for the next census.

“No doubt, this milestone development, under-scores the President’s understanding of the role of data, especially demographic data as the bedrock for informed development planning and allocation of resources. facilities and services.

“The President has by this giant intervention demonstrated his desire to invest in the population, especially our teeming youthful population and to thereby lead the country to harness the demographic dividend.

“We in the National Population Commission perceive this highly commendable action of His Excellency, Mr President as further indication of his dogged resolve to take this country into a post-COVID-19 era that will emerge from systematic planning and optimal utilization of available resources especially the human capital with which the country is abundantly blessed.

ALSO READ: Osun DSS death: Hospital sets panel of enquiry over treatment procedure

“There is no gainsaying that no nation can develop beyond the capacity of its population. For us at the Commission, we wish to reiterate our preparedness and unwavering commitment to work towards the successful conclusion of the EAD and the conduct of the next census and to thereby provide accurate, reliable and up-to-date demographic data for national planning and development.

“As I conclude, I wish to affirm and reassure you all that the present Membership, Management and Staff of the National Population Commission is bubbling with a common vision, zeal, commitment and expertise and with the sophisticated technology at our disposal, and the support which the President has extended to us.

“I am confident that the Commission will deliver a very successful EAD and also to conduct a census that will be accurate, reliable and acceptable.

“May I, therefore, appeal to every stakeholder and particularly you our friends in the media who are gathered here today, to join hands with the National Population Commission in realizing the dream of providing the needed demographic data that will facilitate the upliftment of our dear nation to the next level.”

Vanguard News Nigeria 

Visit website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump leaves hospital for White House; removes mask immediately

President Donald Trump checked out of hospital Monday after four days of emergency treatment for Covid-19, pulling off his mask the moment he reached the White House and vowing to quickly get back on the campaign trail. Shortly beforehand, Trump had tweeted that Americans, who have lost nearly 210,000 people to the virus, have nothing to fear. A series of made-for-TV moments allowed Trump to squeeze the maximum from his medical discharge, starting by exiting alone from the large gold-colored front doors of the Walter Reed military hospital just outside Washington. Live on television, he then walked in a mask to a limousine, giving the thumbs up, before boarding Marine One helicopter for the quick flight to the White House — which he left on Friday after falling ill. After landing, he walked up the steps onto the South Portico’s stately balcony, demonstratively removed his mask and offered a 23-second salute to the departing Marine One. With less than a mont...

Edinson Cavani Joins Manchester United

File photo: Uruguay’s forward Edinson Cavani celebrates after scoring his team’s second goal during the Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 football match between Uruguay and Portugal at the Fisht Stadium in Sochi on June 30, 2018. PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU / AFP   Manchester United have signed Uruguayan striker, Edinson Cavani, the club confirmed on Monday evening.  🇺🇾🔴 𝗠𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗠𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿. Ladies and gentlemen: introducing  @ECavaniOfficial … #MUFC pic.twitter.com/2tBLCdtjdL — Manchester United (@ManUtd)  October 5, 2020 “Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of striker Edinson Cavani,” the club said in a statement on Monday. “The Uruguay international joins on a one-year contract with the option to extend for a further year.”   Cavani has been without a club since leaving Paris Saint-Germain at the end of June. The 33-year-old is PSG’s all-time top scorer, scoring 200 goals in seven seasons at the Parc des Princes. Cavani could...

This is time to act, Charly Boy writes Nigerian youths

Charly Boy By Benjamin Njoku Following the incessant killings of innocent Nigerians by the men of the now curtailed Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Nigeria Police Force, SARS, maverick musician, Charly Boy, has urged the Nigerian youths to rise and fight against repressive administration. Charly Boy made the call on Monday via his Instagram page. The maverick musician wrote: “My Beloved Nigerian Youths, “Our elders say, when ant bite you for nyash, you go adjust your self. The truth be say, we have been silent through fear for far to long.” ALSO READ:  Wizkid blast Buhari, asks him to face his country and leave Trump alone “When will Enough be Enough? This is not the life any of you envisaged. You cannot continue in an environment that robs you of your destiny and kills your dream. Know your enemies, because it’s time to face them. “The time to start organising is now, the time to stop agonising now. The time to act is now. No one is too small to make a difference.” Charly Boy’s ...