Skip to main content

COVID-19: Schools to resume Oct. 5 in Imo


The Imo State Government has announced Oct. 5 as the date for the resumption of schools in the State closed in March following the outbreak of COVID-19 in the country.

This is contained in a press statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr Oguwike Nwachukwu, and made available to newsmen on Thursday in Owerri.

Also read: Gov Emmanuel warns against violation of 8pm to 6am curfew

According to the statement, the resumption was, however, subject to adherence to the recommendations of the committee enforcing COVID-19 safety protocols headed by the Deputy Governor of Imo State, Prof. Placid Njoku.

Nwachukwu said that the state executive council also gave approval for the Imo state school system to be fully automated and digitalized to capture pupils and students enrollment, teachers, pupils and students personal data, payment of school fees, examination details and other relevant information concerning schools in Imo.

The statement quoted the Commissioner for Information, Declan Emelumba, as saying that the reason for the automation was to make it easy for anyone to access information on schools as well as data of anyone who passed through such schools.

Emelumba said that the Commissioner for Education would head the automation process.

The commissioner, however, expressed the regret of the government to the notice of a planned warning strike by doctors in Imo state.

He described the action as; “not only politically motivated but an intention to blackmail the government.”

According to him, the state government had been making “frantic efforts to sanitise the wrongs and rots in the payroll system in the healthcare services where past administrations, civil and public servants have been found to be accomplice”.

He urged the public not to be deceived by the planned warning strike by the doctors.

Emelumba appealed to the doctors in the state, especially their leaders, to reconsider their stand on the planned warning strike and think of amicable resolution through dialogue with the appropriate representatives of the state government.

Vanguard News

Visit website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump leaves hospital for White House; removes mask immediately

President Donald Trump checked out of hospital Monday after four days of emergency treatment for Covid-19, pulling off his mask the moment he reached the White House and vowing to quickly get back on the campaign trail. Shortly beforehand, Trump had tweeted that Americans, who have lost nearly 210,000 people to the virus, have nothing to fear. A series of made-for-TV moments allowed Trump to squeeze the maximum from his medical discharge, starting by exiting alone from the large gold-colored front doors of the Walter Reed military hospital just outside Washington. Live on television, he then walked in a mask to a limousine, giving the thumbs up, before boarding Marine One helicopter for the quick flight to the White House — which he left on Friday after falling ill. After landing, he walked up the steps onto the South Portico’s stately balcony, demonstratively removed his mask and offered a 23-second salute to the departing Marine One. With less than a mont...

Edinson Cavani Joins Manchester United

File photo: Uruguay’s forward Edinson Cavani celebrates after scoring his team’s second goal during the Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 football match between Uruguay and Portugal at the Fisht Stadium in Sochi on June 30, 2018. PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU / AFP   Manchester United have signed Uruguayan striker, Edinson Cavani, the club confirmed on Monday evening.  🇺🇾🔴 𝗠𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗠𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿. Ladies and gentlemen: introducing  @ECavaniOfficial … #MUFC pic.twitter.com/2tBLCdtjdL — Manchester United (@ManUtd)  October 5, 2020 “Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of striker Edinson Cavani,” the club said in a statement on Monday. “The Uruguay international joins on a one-year contract with the option to extend for a further year.”   Cavani has been without a club since leaving Paris Saint-Germain at the end of June. The 33-year-old is PSG’s all-time top scorer, scoring 200 goals in seven seasons at the Parc des Princes. Cavani could...

Anambra lifts curfew, reopens schools

By Vincent Ujumadu Awka- ANAMBRA State government Tuesday announced the lifting of curfew imposed on the state by Governor Willie Obiano in the wake of #endSARS protests by youths across the state. Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Mr. C Don Adinuba said the lifting of the curfew followed a great improvement in the security situation in the state. Adinuba’s statement read: “Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano has decided to lift the curfew imposed in the state since last week. READ ALSO: I will sign executive order to recover looted property — Fintiri “Consequently, all educational institutions closed last week in the wake of the havoc visited on the state by gangs of arsonists and looters are hereby directed to resume normal activities. “In the same vein, all civil servants are directed to return to work immediately. “Governor Obiano thanks Anambra people for their great cooperation which enabled normalcy to return to our state within a short period. “The ...