Skip to main content

Skyrocketing food prices, dollar shortage drive up inflation to 14.2%



New fuel price, electricity tariff to sustain uptrend — Analysts

By Elizabeth Adegbesan

ECONOMY

Skyrocketing food prices and scarcity of foreign exchange (FX) have emerged as the main drivers of soaring inflation and analysts see additional factor of fuel price and electricity tariff increases pushing steeper rise in the months ahead.

The National Bureau of Statistics, NBS, reported yesterday that headline inflation has hit 14.2 percent as at end last month, up 500 basis points above the 13.7 percent recorded in the previous month of September 2020, while also beating consensus forecast of 14.1 percent.

The October position represents the 14th consecutive monthly rise in headline inflation since September 2019 when it stood at 11.24 percent.

READ ALSO:EndSARS: We need to rebuild trust with citizens — Osinbajo

Commenting on the trend, analysts at CardinalStone Finance, a Lagos based investment house, stated: “The worrying trend has been primarily driven by higher domestic food inflation; whose monthly reading (1.96%) is currently at the highest level for 40 months.

“Unsurprisingly, food products with the steepest price increases were those mainly in the CBN’s FX restriction list.”

In its Consumer Price Index (CPI) Report for October 2020, released yesterday, NBS said food inflation rose by 0.72 percent point in October to 17.38 percent from 16.66 percent in September due to increases in prices of bread and cereals, potatoes, yam and other tubers, meat, fish, fruits, vegetable, alcoholic and food beverages and oils and fats.

Outlook

Commenting on the development, analysts at United Capital Management Plc said: “Looking ahead, we maintain our outlook for the headline inflation rate remains biased to the upside for the rest of the year, considering the expected rise in food inflation and the recent spike in the Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) pump price by the Petroleum regulators in the downstream sector.

“Notably, pressures on the food inflation sub-index is likely to continue till the end of the year due to supply shortages, structural bottlenecks, logistical constraints, and currency supply shortages on the I&E window. “Furthermore, we expect that high levels of system liquidity in the latter part of fourth quarter of the year (Q4’20) without a commensurate increase in economic output, will exert upward pressures on the core index. “Also, some demand pressures on passenger air travels and an uptick in hospitality and medical services are key driver of higher prices.

“Overall, we project month-on-month  inflation rate for November 2020 to come in higher, largely driven by the upward review of fuel pump prices and the resumption of suspended electricity tariffs from October 2020.”Also forecasting, analysts at SCM Capital, another Lagos based investment banking firm, stated: “Our inflation outlook remains biased to the upside anchored on currency pressures due to the devaluation and continued illiquidity in the FX market. In addition, we expect continuous pass-through of higher crude oil prices on domestic PMS prices and the increase in energy tariffs. “On food prices, we expect sustained uptick in prices, particularly domestically produced food owing to the impact of the flash floods in the food growing regions and the underwhelming harvest season. “Against this backdrop, we forecast headline inflation for the month of November to print at 15.07% YoY.”

Vanguard News Nigeria 

Visit website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump leaves hospital for White House; removes mask immediately

President Donald Trump checked out of hospital Monday after four days of emergency treatment for Covid-19, pulling off his mask the moment he reached the White House and vowing to quickly get back on the campaign trail. Shortly beforehand, Trump had tweeted that Americans, who have lost nearly 210,000 people to the virus, have nothing to fear. A series of made-for-TV moments allowed Trump to squeeze the maximum from his medical discharge, starting by exiting alone from the large gold-colored front doors of the Walter Reed military hospital just outside Washington. Live on television, he then walked in a mask to a limousine, giving the thumbs up, before boarding Marine One helicopter for the quick flight to the White House — which he left on Friday after falling ill. After landing, he walked up the steps onto the South Portico’s stately balcony, demonstratively removed his mask and offered a 23-second salute to the departing Marine One. With less than a mont...

Edinson Cavani Joins Manchester United

File photo: Uruguay’s forward Edinson Cavani celebrates after scoring his team’s second goal during the Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 football match between Uruguay and Portugal at the Fisht Stadium in Sochi on June 30, 2018. PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU / AFP   Manchester United have signed Uruguayan striker, Edinson Cavani, the club confirmed on Monday evening.  🇺🇾🔴 𝗠𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗠𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿. Ladies and gentlemen: introducing  @ECavaniOfficial … #MUFC pic.twitter.com/2tBLCdtjdL — Manchester United (@ManUtd)  October 5, 2020 “Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of striker Edinson Cavani,” the club said in a statement on Monday. “The Uruguay international joins on a one-year contract with the option to extend for a further year.”   Cavani has been without a club since leaving Paris Saint-Germain at the end of June. The 33-year-old is PSG’s all-time top scorer, scoring 200 goals in seven seasons at the Parc des Princes. Cavani could...

Anambra lifts curfew, reopens schools

By Vincent Ujumadu Awka- ANAMBRA State government Tuesday announced the lifting of curfew imposed on the state by Governor Willie Obiano in the wake of #endSARS protests by youths across the state. Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Mr. C Don Adinuba said the lifting of the curfew followed a great improvement in the security situation in the state. Adinuba’s statement read: “Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano has decided to lift the curfew imposed in the state since last week. READ ALSO: I will sign executive order to recover looted property — Fintiri “Consequently, all educational institutions closed last week in the wake of the havoc visited on the state by gangs of arsonists and looters are hereby directed to resume normal activities. “In the same vein, all civil servants are directed to return to work immediately. “Governor Obiano thanks Anambra people for their great cooperation which enabled normalcy to return to our state within a short period. “The ...