Skip to main content

Insurgency: Wike joins calls for sack of Service Chiefs

Nyesom Wike

By Egufe Yafugborhi

PORT HARCOURT – GOVERNOR Nyesom Wike has join the calls for change of Nigeria’s heads of security and rejigging of the nation’s security architecture as Boko Haram and bandits up north continue to overwhelm federal forces.

Wike during wreath laying and parade to mark 2021 Armed Forces Remembrance Day in Port Harcourt, Rivers state, on Friday, said the time has come for Federal Government (FG) to take decisive action and end the insurgency menace.

He said, “A country is as strong as its Armed Forces. The inability to defeat the Boko Haram insurgency despite years of full military engagement shows all is not well with our approaches and commitments to the battle against internal insecurity.

“Today raises the need for all of us to be worried by the deteriorating security situation across the country and to restate the call on FG to do everything necessary to bring the threat by Boko Haram and armed bandits to a decisive end in the shortest possible time.

“We thank the Service Chiefs for their efforts so far in the battle against the insurgents. But we also align with the concern of citizens that having seemingly reached their wit end, they should now give way for fresh hands and ideas to ensure Boko Haram and killer bandits are comprehensively defeated and smoked out of existence.

“The time has come for the to stop the pretenses, change strategy, seek help from our friends and confront the urgency of the internal insecurity in Nigeria with every weaponry at FG disposal to stop the killings, free all hostages and improve physical security of our country for all Nigerians”

On the significance of the Remembrance Day, the Governor said, “On this solemn day, we join the rest of our country to honour and pay tribute to all our soldiers who died at the various battlefields in the service of our nation.

“We also salute and honour every serving member of Nigerian Armed Forces carrying on today in the noble tradition of those before them dutifully defending our nation’s territorial integrity.

“They are fighting to keep us safe and secured in the face of insurgencies from Boko Haram, Bandits and other criminal elements threatening our peace and security across the country.

“Our beloved country is still together, existing and waxing stronger as one indivisible, free, and democratic country because of your commitment and sacrifice to its unity and progress.

“As Nigerians, our collective desire is to have a country where we can all live in unity, freedom and security. A country where our children and grandchildren can live in relative comfort and strive for a brighter future.

“No recompense can adequately assuage loss of precious lives or the disabling effects of permanent bodily injuries. But we shall never cease to accord profound honour you deserve and canonise your bravery and patriotism at all times in expression of our gratitude for what you truly represent.

“As a government, we believe society must endeavour to move beyond yearly ceremonial ritual and comfort speeches of today to proffer adequate care and support for the families of everyone of our soldiers who unfortunately pays the supreme price or suffers permanent disability in the line of duty to our nation.

“It is for this reason that we have since adopted and implemented the policy framework that guarantees some financial support to the immediate families of any soldier from Rivers State that pays the supreme price or suffers permanent disability at the battlefields in the course of his or her service to our nation. 

“We have also fulfilled and continue to fulfil our promises and commitments to our veterans through the Rivers State Chapter of Nigeria legion. Two days ago,  we released the sum of N70Million to the chapter.”

VANGUARD NEWS NIGERIA 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump leaves hospital for White House; removes mask immediately

President Donald Trump checked out of hospital Monday after four days of emergency treatment for Covid-19, pulling off his mask the moment he reached the White House and vowing to quickly get back on the campaign trail. Shortly beforehand, Trump had tweeted that Americans, who have lost nearly 210,000 people to the virus, have nothing to fear. A series of made-for-TV moments allowed Trump to squeeze the maximum from his medical discharge, starting by exiting alone from the large gold-colored front doors of the Walter Reed military hospital just outside Washington. Live on television, he then walked in a mask to a limousine, giving the thumbs up, before boarding Marine One helicopter for the quick flight to the White House — which he left on Friday after falling ill. After landing, he walked up the steps onto the South Portico’s stately balcony, demonstratively removed his mask and offered a 23-second salute to the departing Marine One. With less than a mont...

Edinson Cavani Joins Manchester United

File photo: Uruguay’s forward Edinson Cavani celebrates after scoring his team’s second goal during the Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 football match between Uruguay and Portugal at the Fisht Stadium in Sochi on June 30, 2018. PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU / AFP   Manchester United have signed Uruguayan striker, Edinson Cavani, the club confirmed on Monday evening.  ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡พ๐Ÿ”ด ๐— ๐—ฎ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐— ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐˜€๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ. Ladies and gentlemen: introducing  @ECavaniOfficial … #MUFC pic.twitter.com/2tBLCdtjdL — Manchester United (@ManUtd)  October 5, 2020 “Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of striker Edinson Cavani,” the club said in a statement on Monday. “The Uruguay international joins on a one-year contract with the option to extend for a further year.”   Cavani has been without a club since leaving Paris Saint-Germain at the end of June. The 33-year-old is PSG’s all-time top scorer, scoring 200 goals in seven seasons at the Parc des Princes. Cavani could...

Anambra lifts curfew, reopens schools

By Vincent Ujumadu Awka- ANAMBRA State government Tuesday announced the lifting of curfew imposed on the state by Governor Willie Obiano in the wake of #endSARS protests by youths across the state. Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Mr. C Don Adinuba said the lifting of the curfew followed a great improvement in the security situation in the state. Adinuba’s statement read: “Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano has decided to lift the curfew imposed in the state since last week. READ ALSO: I will sign executive order to recover looted property — Fintiri “Consequently, all educational institutions closed last week in the wake of the havoc visited on the state by gangs of arsonists and looters are hereby directed to resume normal activities. “In the same vein, all civil servants are directed to return to work immediately. “Governor Obiano thanks Anambra people for their great cooperation which enabled normalcy to return to our state within a short period. “The ...